Monday, September 2, 2013

Why this question?

I listen to "Gambler" by fun. for one sole reason, one series of lines: "She has eyes just like her father's, they are  blue in skies of grey. And just like him she never  stops, never takes the day for granted. Works for everything that's handed to her, and never once complained."

If all else perished, and my dad remained, I should still continue to be... I give style points to Emily Bronte for this emulation that so accurately describes my relationship with my dad. We do have the same eyes, same sports fanship allegiance, same love for literature, same destructive way of holding in our deepest thoughts and feelings.

I wonder if I was just meant to be like him or if I chose to be that way because for some crazy reason being like him made sense to me. My mom never thought she would end up like her parents, they're nice enough but she and they do not share much of the same thinking. She tells me she reminds herself of her parents more and more each day.

My question is, to what extent do we become our parents? I have a great situation at home, but what about those that are dysfunctional? Despite the classic tale of the rebelling youth that strives to release themselves from their parental talons, how much poison or virtue can be concentrated through blood bonds? And how does this happen?

1 comment:

  1. I love how invested you are in this question--particularly, in terms of considering experiences outside your own (those who don't have good family situations).

    ReplyDelete